Monday, May 10, 2010

The color of the ocean where it is the deepest

This poem is from a little game we play at, Alabaster & Mercury, a private myspace writing group. They are 5 minute poems, then we leave a topic for whoever decides to take a stab at it.
This topic was left by my friend Larry Kuechlin:

The color of the ocean where it is the deepest

I drove home early
before traffic made the drive taxing.
Part of me remained with last glimpses of freedom,
and last song the sea played in my dreams,
where darkness swirled
only revealing to my imagination
some sort of truth that lit my wonder.
My hair smelled of smoke,
that drifted through the morning
deep beneath the pressure
of a day's demand.
I painted my toe nails
my favorite shade of pink,
smelled of Hermes Paris,
before uncorking the joy
that stole away the hours.
The darkest shades of sky
lend only to this moment
the splash of white foam
tempting me to follow,
to draw me in and surprise me
with its depth and chill.
Yet I stand here
dripping with need to submerge
to feel the weight of her power,
give to her strength to carry me
where life is fragile, and I must swim to shore.

No comments: